Small business owners need to market their businesses and marketing today is done online. If you are a small business planning on using digital marketing for your business, you need to build a solid foundation. There are certain building blocks needed to do this effectively. In this blog post I will review some of these building blocks and how they are used.
- Responsive website – The first and most important building block is your website. Your website is the center of your digital marketing This is the place where all of your digital marketing efforts should be directed. Everything you do online should lead back to your website. Your website provides a space to tell your target market all about your business and what problems you can solve for them. If you haven’t built your website yet, check out this blog post, Small business marketing starts with a website.
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization) – Selecting keywords appropriate for your business or industry are used on your website so your business will be found in web searches. Keyword planning tools can help you find the best ones for your business. Start your search with Google’s keyword planning tool or try https://keywordtool.io/. Your keywords are used on your website and also can be used with hashtags on social media networks like Twitter and Instagram.
- Social Media Networks – Social media is a great way to connect to your target market. Posting content related to your business or industry showcases your area of expertise and can attract the attention of your target market. Select two to three social media networks to focus on and build a following. If you need help deciding which social media networks would be best for your business, read my blog post, Which social networks are right for your business?
- Online listings – It is important to list your website in online directories. This is free in most cases, so it is a budget friendly way to help boost your online visibility. Find out more here https://www.manta.com/resources/small-business-advice/6-reasons-you-need-to-verify-your-business-listings-right-now/
- Online reviews – Getting reviews from online review websites like Yelp are another cost effective way to increase your online visibility. Encourage your customers to leave reviews, which can lead to more web traffic.
- Local Search Optimization – Optimize your business for local search by listing your business on Google My Business, MapQuest, and Yelp. Customers often search for nearby businesses on their mobile devices. If they are in you area, then can find your business.
- Content Marketing – Post content such as blogs regularly on your website. This helps promote your expertise in your industry. Then you can post social media links to the blog posts and help drive traffic back to your website. Once they are on your website an online contact form can convert them into a lead.
- Email Marketing Account – Another goal of your digital marketing is to build an email list of your leads. An email list of your leads allows you to continue to market to them if they are not ready to buy right away. Some of the ways you can build your email list are: place a sign up box in multiple places on your website, create a lead magnet in exchange for a sign up on your email list, and place a call-to-action for email sign ups at the end of your blog posts. A Constant Contact email marketing account allows you to maintain your list of contacts, create and send email marketing campaigns, and run reports on your campaign results.
These are building blocks to start your digital marketing efforts. Once you have a solid foundation you may want to expand into search engine marketing (SEM) or pay per click (PPC) for your website. In addition most social media networks now have paid advertising available. Most small business marketing budgets are limited, so my advice is to try the free or low cost digital marketing methods first and later move on the more expensive digital advertising.
If you would like to join our email list and get info, tips, resources, and best practices on digital marketing for your start up small business, click here.
- Posted by sjwills
- On September 26, 2018
- 0 Comments