As a small business it is important to look professional. If you are starting your own small business, running a side-gig, becoming a contractor or a solopreneur, you will join an ever-growing number of people who are also doing their own thing. I trust that you have the training and work experience that qualify you for the work you are doing, but it is important that your potential clients know that. Like so many others in your situation you are probably working from your home office, maybe in a spare bedroom, garage, or corner of the family room. There’s nothing wrong with that. We all have to start somewhere. But you want your potential clients to only see you as a professional and a legitimate business. Don’t give them any reason to doubt your credibility. And when you are working from home, oftentimes your target market’s only view of you and your small business is through your website. So it had better look professional. Here are a few tips to make your website and small business look as professional as possible.
- Make your website responsive – Statistics show that the majority of web visitors view the Internet on mobile devices. Having a responsive website allows your web visitors to have the best user experience with your website. Not having a mobile responsive website makes your business look behind the times and unprofessional. You don’t want that.
- Create domain linked email accounts – When you buy a domain name and set up your website, most hosting packages allow you a certain number of domain linked email accounts. An email from firstname.lastname@example.org will sound much more professional than an email from email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Get a separate business phone line – Having a separate business phone line allows you to answer business phone calls in a professional manner. When you know that an incoming call is a business call, you can answer it prepared for business. There are a couple of ways to do this. A Google Voice number will give you a separate phone number for business calls. You can then forward that number to your cell phone and give it a different ring. That way you will know a business call is coming in. Another option is a virtual assistant or call center that can answer business calls when you are not available.
- Get a business address for your small business – You may be doing business exclusively online, but having a business mailing address for your small business gives you a sense of legitimacy. There are UPS mail centers or co-working spaces that can provide you with a business mailing address and where you can get your business mail. There are a number of fraudulent websites online, so having an address lets people know that they can contact you if necessary and makes you look more legitimate.
- Post your photo on your website – In the about section or somewhere on your website, post a photo of yourself, the small business owner, and perhaps photos of your staff if you have employees. People like to know who is behind the business. People do business with people they know, like, and trust. Give you website visitors a chance to know who you are and learn to trust you.
These are just a few tips to make your website and small business look as legitimate and credible as possible. It is important that your web visitors and potential clients know your small business is stable, reliable, and trustworthy. So do all that you can to let them know that.
If you would like to join our email list and get info, tips, resources, and best practices on marketing your start up small business, click here.
- Posted by sjwills
- On August 22, 2018
- 0 Comments